If you’re new to Houston, you may be wondering how your new hometown will affect your fashion choices. How should you dress to fit in with Houston style? The short answer is, “Be yourself.” Houston is a city of many influences, with a marvelous variety of people. Whatever your personal style is, there is a place in our culture for you. That said, the Houston fashion landscape is a unique mix of interesting influences. You may enjoy learning about them, and letting them inform your fashion choices as you create your own Houston style.
Houston fashion is informed by several aspects of our culture:
- We’re Texans. We’re proud of our history, which is closely tied in with ranching, our shared history with Mexico, and the spirit of the wild West. Enjoy the Tex-Mex influence, but don’t go over the top. Houston fashion isn’t all cowboy boots and ten-gallon hats. As Houston’s Fashion Tips Examiner, Renae Virata, points out, there are ways to express western style more subtly, even at a rodeo. A little western style goes a long way.
- We’re southern. Yes, this is the West, but Houston is also as far south as New Orleans. We have some of the classic southern sensibilities: We’re polite, polished, and classic. Houston ladies, especially, tend to take more care with their hair and make-up than ladies do further north or east. Think beauty queens and southern belles.
- We’re subtropical. The weather affects Houston fashion, too. We’re famous for our hot, humid summers, which are great times to break out light, flowy dresses and fabulous, sun-shading hats. In the coldest parts of the winter, temperatures are in the 40s to the 70s, and snow is a rare thing to see.
- We’re corporate and career-minded. Houston is home to more Fortune 500 companies than any U.S. city except New York. There’s a lot of high-end business going on, so you’ll see a lot of well-dressed businesspeople. If you’re starting a new job here, chances are that the dress code will be on the more formal end for your industry. Do your research for the particular company you’ll be working for: Pay attention to what other people are wearing at your interview, and ask what the dress code is before your first day of work. When in doubt, though, dress up for your first day.
- We’re cosmopolitan. Houston is a big, varied city, and people from all over the world come to live and work here. This is a city of night clubs, five-star restaurants, and vibrant culture. We have our own fashion week, and our best dressed are very well dressed, indeed. If you’re going out for a night on the town, and want to know what level of dress is best for the club or restaurant you’re headed to, the Dress Code Finder web site may be able to help you.
- We’re sports fans. Houston is home to professional football, basketball, baseball, soccer, and hockey, and fandom is always in style. If you love one of the local teams, feel free to include sports gear in your fashion choices.
- We’re young and hip. Remember, too, that Houston is home to world-class colleges, universities, and medical schools. All of those students bring a young, lively, trendy vibe to Houston style.